SIP 2021 Season Statement:
The current plan is to design and produce a “traditional” show as we have in the past, and make it fit into whatever our local circuit (SCGC) and national organization (WGI) offers.
Currently, SCGC (local circuit) is working to offer “in-person” events, to include a State Championship in each state represented. WGI (national governing organization) is only offering a virtual option. It is our plan to attend in-person events as offered by SCGC- assuming permission is allowed by MCBOE.
What is Sparkman Indoor Percussion?
The Sparkman Indoor Percussion Ensemble, or SIP, is a nationally recognized competitive ensemble that develops and performs a show (similar to marching band) in gyms and arenas. SIP competes locally, regionally, and nationally. SIP has won two WGI Open Class World Championships (2016, 2019) and numerous SCGC (local circuit) A and Open class titles. SIP has also claimed 6 Alabama State Titles in A and Open class (2011, 2012, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019).
To be eligible for a position in SIP 2021, students must:
- Be in good financial standing with all current booster fees.
- Be dependable and not have excessive absences.
- Review and understand the rehearsal/performance schedule.
- Perform audition materials at a proficient level (students who perform an incomplete audition will likely not receive a position).
*Not all students who audition will receive a position*
- Auditions are open to any current band student.
- Continue reading below for sign-up form.
- Open auditions for SIP 2021 will be by video submission due by Monday, November 9 by 11:59 pm.
- Audition materials/requirements will be made available on the website soon.
- All positions are open to audition for.
- These positions include: Snare, tenors, bass drums, flubs, marching cymbals, marimba, vibraphone, xylophone, bells/chimes/crotales, rack percussion, synthesizer (1 and 2), student manager/prop operator.
- Any non-percussion student MUST have a conference with Mr. Albert prior to auditioning for SIP.
- We are always looking for piano players to fill synth positions! If you are interested, please audition!
What Does a Student Manager/Prop Operator Do?
- Operates metronome during rehearsals.
- Operates/maintains/assists with construction of props.
- Assists Mr. Albert/Staff logistically during rehearsals and/or show days.
- Required to be at all rehearsals unless otherwise notified by Mr. Albert.
- If offered a contract for membership in SIP, students are expected/required to be at all rehearsals/performances.
- The general rehearsal schedule can be found on the calendar section of the band website.
- There will be 3 rehearsal camps: December 4-5, January 8-9, February 19-20.
- There will be a parent meeting of all students who received SIP 2021 participation contracts on Thursday, November 12 from 6-7 pm in the SHS NEW Auditorium.
2021 Show Schedule
*There will be no overnight trips this season.
Parent support is a vital aspect of SIP. We are always looking for parents to help construct props, sew, paint, move equipment on pit crew, chaperone, etc. We encourage you to get involved, as this team effort can be very rewarding for both your child and yourself.
On a normal year, SIP operates on an annual budget of approximately $48,000. This budget is generated by membership fees, fundraising, and corporate/individual sponsorships attained by the membership and/or their parents. Like the overall band program, SIP does not receive any monetary support from the school or school system. Our annual budget includes the following:
- Additional Instruction
- Transportation (equipment truck and bus)
- Floor Tarp (custom digitally printed)
- Costumes (uniforms)
- Musical Equipment
- Show Music Licensing Fees (copyright clearance, etc.)
- SCGC Fees
- Show Design (except music, which we get for no cost)
SIP 2021 membership fees are TBD at this time. 100% of your 20/20 fundraiser, another fundraiser TBD, and fruit sale profits will go towards your SIP fee balance.
If you anticipate fees being a hardship, please see Mr. Albert.
SIP 2021 Fee Collection Schedule