This article contains information regarding the 2020 SIP Season.
What is Sparkman Indoor Percussion?
The Sparkman Indoor Percussion Ensemble, or SIP, is a nationally recognized competitive ensemble that develops and performs a show (similar to marching band) in gyms and arenas. SIP competes locally, regionally, and nationally. SIP has won two WGI Open Class World Championships (2016, 2019) and numerous SCGC (local circuit) A and Open class titles. SIP has also claimed 6 Alabama State Titles in A and Open class (2011, 2012, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019).
To be eligible for a position in SIP 2020, students must:
- Be in good financial standing with all current booster fees.
- Be dependable and not have excessive absences.
- Review and understand the rehearsal/performance schedule.
- Perform audition materials at a proficient level (students who perform an incomplete audition will likely not receive a position).
*Not all students who audition will receive a position*
- Continue reading below for sign-up form.
- Open auditions for SIP 2020 will take place on Tuesday, November 12 at 3:45 pm at S9GS.
- Audition materials/requirements will be made available on the website soon.
Visual Ensemble Clinics/Auditions
- Instructional clinics will take place on Wednesday, November 6 from 3:45-6:45 pm (bring a snack) and Tuesday, November 12 from 3:45-5:45 pm at S9GS.
- Visual Ensemble auditions will take place on Wednesday, November 13 at 3:45 pm.
- All positions are open to audition for.
- These positions include: Snare, tenors, bass drums, flubs, marching cymbals, marimba, vibraphone, xylophone, bells/chimes/crotales, rack percussion, synthesizer (1 and 2), visual ensemble, student manager/prop operator.
- Any non-percussion student MUST have a conference with Mr. Albert prior to auditioning for SIP.
What Does a Student Manager/Prop Operator Do?
- Operates metronome during rehearsals.
- Operates/maintains/assists with construction of props.
- Assists Mr. Albert/Staff logistically during rehearsals and/or show days.
- Required to be at all rehearsals unless otherwise notified by Mr. Albert.
- If offered a contract for membership in SIP, students are expected/required to be at all rehearsals/performances.
- The general rehearsal schedule can be found on the calendar section of the band website.
- Additional visual ensemble rehearsals will be made available at a later date.
- There will be 4 rehearsal camps: December 6-7, January 3-4, February 7-8, March 27-28.
- There will be a mandatory parent meeting of all students who received SIP 2020 participation contracts on Thursday, November 14 from 6-7 pm at S9GS.
2020 Show Schedule
- February 22 Columbia Central HS — Columbia, TN
- February 29 Bob Jones HS — Madison, AL
- March 20-22 WGI South Power Regional — Hattiesburg, MS
- Spring Showcase (at SHS) April Date TBD
- April 15-19 WGI World Championships — Greater Dayton Area, OH
*The WGI South Power Regional and WGI World Championships will be overnight trips.
There will be a parent meeting for parents of SIP students on Thursday, November 14 at 6:00 pm in the S9GS Auditorium. Please be there!
Parent support is a vital aspect of SIP. We are always looking for parents to help construct props, sew, paint, move equipment on pit crew, chaperone, etc. We encourage you to get involved, as this team effort can be very rewarding for both your child and yourself.
SIP operates on an annual budget of approximately $48,000. This budget is generated by membership fees, fundraising, and corporate/individual sponsorships attained by the membership and/or their parents. Like the overall band program, SIP does not receive any monetary support from the school or school system. Our annual budget includes the following:
- Additional Instruction
- Transportation (equipment truck and bus)
- Floor Tarp (custom digitally printed)
- Costumes (uniforms)
- Musical Equipment
- Show Music Licensing Fees (copyright clearance, etc.)
- WGI Fees
- SCGC Fees
- Show Design (except music, which we get for no cost)
SIP 2020 membership fees will be $1000 per student. HOWEVER: 100% of your 20/20 fundraiser, See’s Candy, and fruit sale profits will go towards your SIP fee balance.
If you anticipate fees being a hardship, please see Mr. Albert.
SIP 2020 Fee Collection Schedule
- November 22 – $350
- December 20 – $325
- January 17 – $325
Audition Sign-Up Form
Sign-Ups now closed