All band members must adhere to strict procedures in order to function in the most efficient manner. All students should read and familiarize themselves with all procedures listed below:
- School Arrival & Departure
- Classroom Procedures
- Absence Procedures
- Uniform Procedures
- Travel Procedures
- Band Syllabus (Document Download Page)
School Arrival & Departure
All students must enter the band room through the school in the mornings but may leave school each day through the outside door.
- Bus Riders All Wind Players
- Take the school bus to the High School in the mornings. Exit the bus and drop off your instrument in the HS Band Room.
- After school, travel to the HS Band Room and pick up your instrument. 9th graders will have to wait for the HS bell to ring and get on the school bus from the HS.
- Any student not dropping off or picking up their instrument from the HS Band Room should follow standard arrival procedures set forth by their school. (9th graders pickup and drop-off at S9)
- Car Riders All Wind Players (Subject to change due to school policies)
- 9th graders that are dropping of their instruments in the HS Band Room should be dropped off at the high school. School opens at 8:10am. Students may also be dropped off at S9 but will have to travel across the skybridge and back to drop off their instrument in the HS Band Room.
- 10-12 Grade students can drop off their instruments any time after 8:10am.
All instruments should be stored in their designated locker. Student locker numbers should be notated in Charms by the student. During class and performances, students should store their empty instrument case back in their lockers to keep the floor clear.
During Marching Season students will be allowed 5 minutes to change into shorts, t-shirt, and tennis shoes. These items should be stored in the student’s locker and taken home to be washed at the end of each day. Students must use the designated area to dress out. (Bathrooms & Dressing Rooms)
At the end of each class students will be allowed 5 minutes to dress back into their regular school clothes before going to their next class.
Food and Drink
No food or drink is allowed in the band room with exception to water (not flavored water). In the morning/afternoon when students are dropping off or picking up their instrument they should leave any drink or food on the table located in the foyer of the band room and pick it back up on the way out.
Chairs and Stands
Chairs and stands will be setup and put away at the beginning and end of every rehearsal. Students should understand the proper way to store these items.
Chair Racks = 20 Chairs Maximum
Stand Racks = 20 Stands Maximum (10 per side)
All stands that will not fit on a rack should be stacked neatly in the designated area.
Lost and Found (limited storage)
Students should never leave personal belongings in the band room or surrounding area. A designated area will be declared for lost and found items and it is the student’s responsibility to claim the items before they are discarded. If a student has lost a more expensive item they should contact the director because they will be stored in a secured area.
Attendance is the most important element to the band’s success during marching or concert season. Students should make every effort to attend all rehearsals during and after school. When a student misses a rehearsal or event, the material covered during that rehearsal must be retaught to the entire band upon the return of the student. Due to the nature of our performances, a student can not truly make up this time lost outside of a band rehearsal.
When a student arrives to a rehearsal late they should check in with their section leader or drum major. During marching season a drum major will be in charge of recording absences and tardies. Students will be required to make up any time lost at the end of the rehearsal by performing various duties, rehearsals or exercises. If the amount of time missed exceeds a reasonable amount of time to make it up after the rehearsal or the student is required to leave in a timely manner after rehearsal then make-up time may be split across a series of future rehearsals.
An excused absence is one that would include a doctor’s note or some other family emergency of an immediate family member or an issue that is discussed with the director’s prior to the event. A copy of an office visit (doctor’s excuse) or other documentation should be accompanied upon the student’s return.
Make-up times will be allowed for all excused absences. These additional assignments may take place take place on Monday’s and/or Wednesday’s after school or with an online assignment. The student will receive a grade of a zero until the assignment is properly made-up.
All absences that do not fall under the category of emergency will be considered unexcused. Unexcused absences are not eligible for make-up times and will result in a deduction of the student’s grade and possible removal from performances. The director’s should be notified of any special circumstances that may arise that would effect a student’s attendance.
Absences deemed excessive by the director could result in removal from the band program or disciplinary action. It is the responsibility of the student to activily seek a make-up time through their section leaders or directors.
Alternates (Competition Band Only)
The Competition Band will contain alternate Personnel members that will shadow positions in the competition program. These positions are determined based upon the attendance and performance of the competition members. If a competition band member is absent, their position will be covered by an alternate. If the alternate demonstrates proficiency in that position with a good attendance record, they will replace the original competition band member.
All alternates will have a marching position in the Marching Band Program and will perform at all Marching Band events. If an alternate acquires a full-time position in the Competition Band, their Marching Band position will be swapped with the former competition band student that will become an alternate.
The uniform will be in alphabetical order separated by instrument in the uniform room. Shakos are located above the uniforms for Marching Band students or in the center cabinets for Competition Band.
- Unless otherwise instructed, students should arrive at the band room before call time wearing black bibbers, compression shorts/tights, long black socks, black marching shoes and band shirt. Do not leave any personal belongings in the band room floor at any time during the event.
- Students should locate their uniform bag and shako box in the uniform room and flow through to the other side. (one way traffic at all times)
- Students should use the bathrooms/dressing rooms to put on the uniform, zip the bag up and get out the shako from the box. NEVER HANG UNIFORM BAGS ON THE INSTRUMENT STORAGE LOCKER DOORS.
- Students should continue to back through the uniform room (one way traffic at all times) and place the uniform bag on the hanger in the appropriate area.
- Students should continue to flow through the uniform room (one way traffic at all times) to travel back to the band room.
- NOTE ABOUT SHAKOS
- Home Game: Remove shako from the box and place the empty box in the uniform room.
Away Game: Take shako box to the bus with you.
- Home Game: Remove shako from the box and place the empty box in the uniform room.
- Once you are fully dressed then students should proceed to acquire their instrument/equipment.
- Students should flow through the uniform room to pick up shako box and uniform bag.
- Student will use the bathroom/changing room to change out of the uniform and put their shako back in the box.
- Students should hang the uniform up outside of the garment bag if the uniform is damp in order to air out.
- Students should flow back through the uniform room (one way traffic at all times) and place items in the designated area.
- Bibbers will be worn home and laundered as needed.
- Students should secure all other equipment and leave the band room.
Event Check Outs
- In the event a student will be checked out from an event they should carry their uniform garment bag with them to the event instead of placing it back in the uniform room.
- The student will change out of their uniform and place their garment bag on the equipment truck before they check out.
- Black marching shoes.
- Black socks that extend 5″ above the top of the shoe.
- Undergarments (Band shirt and black compression shorts/tights)
- Black gloves (only flutes and clarinets may wear fingerless gloves)
- Band jacket
- Plume (to be distributed immediately prior to performances)
Do’s and Don’ts
- Never stop the flow in the uniform room.
- Do not place shoes in the garment bags.
- Always wear the uniform completely in public.
- Hang the bibbers to the crease.
- Zip the uniform jacket on the hanger.
- Never throw the uniform on the ground.
Code of Conduct
- No eating or drinking in uniform (except water).
- No chewing gum while in uniform.
- No jewelry (except small stud earrings) may be worn while in uniform.
- The uniform must be complete at all times unless otherwise instructed. Change in and out of uniform ONLY in designated areas. (Home, Band Room, Bus)
- No profanity or obscene gestures in uniform.
Instrument Staging (Pre-Departure)
Percussion, winds and color guard equipment will be stored in a designated area at the end of their class period. All students are responsible for loading/unload their own equipment.
Students will arrive at the school prior to call time and dress into their uniform for the event. At call time students should gather fully dressed in a designated area with their sections and each section leader will report any absences to the drum major and perform a uniform check. If students arrive late they should report to the drum major.
Students will load the bus ONLY when given the command by a director. All personal belongings must be removed from the band room floor before students load the bus. Typically, students will be released to load the bus in a particular order. Any last minute announcements may be given at this time. The front 4 seats on all busses are designated for chaperones and staff members unless otherwise stated.
Loud talking and other noises is prohibited on the bus in order to ensure bus drivers can have a safe trip. Students should not stand in the aisle and should sit in the seat as they were designed. (No sitting/standing on your knees in the seat) PDA is prohibited both on and off the bus. Do not exit the bus from the Emergency Exit.
Uniforms include black marching shoes, black socks (long), uniform pants and jacket, gauntlets, band shirt, compression shorts (no blue jean or cargo pants), shako, and white gloves. All items of the uniform must be properly worn before leaving the band room or bus (Except gloves and shako). Students may take off their jackets on the bus but should dress immediately when the band arrives at their destination to avoid delay when exiting the bus.
As students are released from their bus they should travel IMMEDIATELY to the instrument staging area. Students will find their instrument case, assemble their instrument/equipment, and place the empty case in the designated area. At this time all students will travel DIRECTLY to the warm-up area. This is critical to prevent overcrowding in the staging area. DO NOT HANG OUT IN THE STAGING AREA.
After our performance the front ensemble will reload their equipment before the end of the game. Everyone else will follow the same procedures in reverse being sure to place their instrument cases in the designated area to be loaded and immediately load the bus.
Students should march into the stadium in full uniform (including gloves and shako) Students will remove/wear their shako only when the drum majors remove/wear their shakos. Shakos will be placed “up-side-up” on the bleacher to avoid dirt or damage to the shako. Students may remove their gloves at any time when their shakos are off.
Chaperones will hand out plumes by passing them down each row at the beginning of the 2nd quarter or they may be distributed upon exiting the stands for halftime. Students should be careful to handle the plumes properly as they pass them to the end of the each row and place them in the shako.
Student check-out Procedures
Only parents/legal guardians are allowed to checkout students from an away event. At least one day in advance of the event a Checkout Request Form must be filled out and turned in to the directors. Students should ONLY checkout for special circumstances or emergencies. The head chaperone will be available in the stands or at the front of Bus #1 after the game for parents to sign out their student. A special release document is signed by the parent and identification must be available. Again, parents/legal guardians MUST be present at the event to sign-out the student and students will not be allowed to leave with another parent with a pre-written note.
Students that atinicipate checking out at a marching event should take their shako box and garmet bag on the bus to the event. After the event students should change out of their uniform and deliver it to the appropriate chaperone at the equipment truck upon checking out. Parents should checkout students in a timely manner. When the band buses are loaded they will leave to travel back to Sparkman and will NOT wait for students to be checked out.
School Arrival/Event Dismissal
Upon arrival each student is responsible for gathering their own personal belongings and assigned instruments from the equipment truck and placing it in the designated area. Unless otherwise stated, students should leave the school property as soon their belongings are secure. Any student that does not have transportation off the school property should contact the director.
All students must ride the bus to performing events such as football games, competitions and various other contests. If a student would like to checkout after an event they must fill out a Request Form and turn it in at least one day in advance. Once the event is over the parent or legal guardian may check the student out by signing a release form at the event. (Please see the head chaperone for checkouts) Students should ONLY checkout for special circumstances or emergencies.
You may not sign the release form in advance. Parents or legal guardians MUST be present at the event in order for the student to be allowed to leave. Once the student is checked out into the custody of the parent or legal guardian then Sparkman High School and the band directors will be released of all responsibility for that student.
Students checkout out from any marching band event must take their shako box and garmet bag wtih them to the event. Students should change out of their uniform and return it to the designated parent at the equipment truck during checkouts.
Any student that does not follow travel policies may not be allowed to travel with the band for future events.