Staring with the 2013 Fall season the Sparkman High School Marching Band implemented a system of two marching bands. The Sparkman High School Band program will consist of a Marching Band and a Competition Band during the fall semester.
The Marching Band will consist of all members of the Sparkman Band program. All 9th grade students recommended by their middle school director may participate in the Marching Band. All 9th grade percussion that audition and receive a position will participate in both the Marching Band and Competition Band. All Color Guard members that audition and receive a position will participate in Marching Band.
All members of the Marching Band are required to attend band camp in order to receive a position in the program. All members who are not present at band camp or were unable to fully participate in the camp will be placed as an alternate. Alternates may march in the show if an opening arises throughout the year.
All Marching Band members are required to attend all performances at football games, competitions and any other official band event.
Competition Band will consist of all 10-12 grade students that pass the marching band proficiency test along with the other requirements listed below. Any upperclassman that does not pass the proficiency test or neglects to fulfill all duties of the Competition Band will automatically be placed in Marching Band only. All Competition Band members are also required to participate in the Marching Band and attend all required band camps in order to receive a position in the program.
Any 10-12 grade band member may decide to march only in the Marching Band if they feel they are not able to fulfill all the requirements of the Competition Band.
Competition Band Requirements
- 10-12 Grade (excluding percussion/guard)
- Performance – Pass the Marching Proficiency Test and playing evaluation.
- Experience – Successfully march one year in Marching Band or transfer in with recommendation from past director. (excluding percussion/guard)
- Attendance – Establish and maintain a good attendance record. Attend all rehearsals/performances for both Marching Band and Competition Band.
- Discipline – Maintain good rapport with the Band Directors and other teachers within the school.
- Physical – Students must be capable of meeting the physical demands of a 10 minute program marching at tempos up to 200bpm. Students should be able to run a mile within xx minutes.
Transfer or Re-entering Students
Students that transfer from other school may be placed in either bands according to an evaluation/recommendation process.
Re-Entering Band Students
Students that have participated with the Sparkman High School Band and dropped out but would like to re-enter the program may apply for re-entry. These students must meet the following requirements:
- Must not have been removed by the directors or any other school official.
- Must be re-evaluated on their instrument and interviewed by the directors.
- Must re-enter to the Marching Band (Competition Band eligibility will begin after 1 year of Marching Band participation after re-entry)
Posted in: Band FAQ